When it comes to UX interviews, it’s easy to feel like you’re the one getting grilled. But remember, you’re interviewing the company too.
Here are some questions I collected from the web.
About the position
- What is a day or week in the life of this position like? Can you show me an example of a project I’d be working on?
- Why did the last person (in the role you’re applying for) leave?
- What is the history of this position? Is it newly created? If not, why did the previous person leave it?
- What’s the team structure? Who does the UX manager (or team) report to?
- Can you describe a typical day split up in percentages by activity? For example, 50% of the day is spent wireframing, 20% is spent on meetings and email…
- How long do projects take to launch? Can you give me some examples?
- Can you walk me through how things are made here? Let’s say there’s a new project and you have a kickoff meeting…what’s the UX process like until launch? Post launch?
- How will you define success for this position?
- What are the most important objectives for this position in the first few months?
- Let’s pretend I’m finishing up my first project here – what are the expectations of how design artifacts should delivered?
- What kind of manager do you consider yourself? Can you talk about any management whose decisions will affect my day to day life?
- What are some things that new designers could do in their first 30 days to set them up for success? What does onboarding look like for new team members?
About the future
- Is there room for advancement or career training in this position?
- Is there the opportunity for mentorship within this position?
- What are the 5- and 10-year goals of the company?
- What’s the company culture like? Do co-workers eat lunch together? Do you have regular team events?
- What do you wish the company did a better job of?
- What’s your vision for the UX team? What about for the whole company?
- Do you have any concerns about my qualifications?
- What are the next steps in the interview process?
- 10 Useful Questions to Ask in UX Interviews. UX Beginner.
- 10 Useful Questions to Ask in a Job Interview. Art of Manliness.